Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Malazan. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

David

Anfänger

• »David« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Beruf: Author

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2008, 00:52

Just Saying Hello

Hello,

Sorry that this has to be in English, but I don't speak German. Thankfully, my German translator does, though, so hopefully a few of you out there will be coming across my novel, Acacia: Macht und Verrat. Anomandaris and TeichDragon have been kind enough to visit my Forum, and they helped get me set up here as well. Thank you both.

So, I just wanted to say hello. I very much hope that some of you are enjoying my book. I'm quite proud to be published in Germany. If you all like it, I'll certainly send more your way! I don't know what Steven would think me taking up space on his Forum, but I have met Steven (and Ian, too). I think we got along pretty well, so I don't think they'll mind. ;)

Acacia is my first fantasy novel, but I've published three others. Two are American historical novels, Gabriel's Story and Walk Through Darkness, and the third is about Hannibal's war against Rome, Pride of Carthage. When I set up my website, I wrote a brief letter about why I choose to move into fantasy. If you're interested, here's what I said...

Dear Readers,

I've been getting asked this question quite a bit recently: "David, why fantasy?" Inherent in the question is the suggestion that my time could be better spent elsewhere, in a more serious pursuit, with something tougher and of greater import. I believe wholeheartedly, however, that nothing I could written at this point would have been more serious, or tougher, or more completely engaging. As far as the import goes - well, I think there's plenty to be found in my imagined world that reflects directly back on ours. Acacia is a novel about the myths empires create to explain their crimes. It's about how difficult it is to join idealism with action. It's about ambition and hope and dealing with the disappointments inflicted by a callous world. It's about family legacy, sibling rivalry, and striving to correct past wrongs.

Having said that, I guess I still haven't answered the fundamental question. Why fantasy? Part of it had to do with paying homage to a genre that was important to me as a young reader. Nothing drove me to read like fantasy did. I ate up CS Lewis, Lloyd Alexander, Fred Saberhagen and Stephen R Donaldson. Ursula K LeGuin was challenging and exciting for reasons I didn't completely understand at the time. I read The Lord of the Rings in middle school, at a time when my reading level still hadn't risen from the slow start I got in elementary school. My teacher cautioned me against my reading Tolkein. It was above my reading level, she said, and I'd probably find it too difficult. If I hadn't wanted so badly to fall into this imagined world I would probably have accepted that. But I had to read that book. It wasn't easy, but pushing through such novels improved my reading by bounds, improved my self-image, stimulated my imagination and set me on the path to being a writer. Fantasy was a gateway for me, one that opened up a world of all sorts of literature and connected me with the wonders of storytelling as a way to meaningfully explore life's great questions.

In college and graduate school, I settled in to an academic study of literary fiction, but I never forgot the pure excitement I'd felt as a young reader. I found that—on the side and somewhat secretly—I was still drawn toward imaginative tales that were also novels of ideas: Octavia Butler, Orson Scott Card, Susanna Clarke, Neil Gaiman, Frank Herbert, Neal Stephenson, just to name a few. And I realized how much fantasy was becoming a part of my children's life, both in the classics and in new works by Cornelia Funke, MI McAllister, Kai Meyer, Phillip Pullman, JK Rowling, Jonathon Stroud, just to name a few. All this got me thinking...

What if I could recapture the joy of exploring an imagined world in my own work, and do so in a way that's "literary" but also exciting: a quest, an adventure, a saga, something that could entertain and challenge at the same time? And what if I could do it with a truly multiracial cast of characters that includes and represents for our actual cultural diversity? I found that too exciting an idea to resist.

That's why I wrote Acacia. If that sounds at all interesting to you I hope you give the book a shot. If you're interested in finding out more about my books, please consider visiting my BLOG, my WEBSITE and/or FORUM. And if you want to write me here please do - I'll check back in and respond as soon as I can.

Thanks,

David.

Anomandaris

First Son of Mother Dark

Beruf: Student

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2008, 15:54

Hi David,

Welcome on malazan.de!
So great to have you here. And thanks a lot for taking the time and visit us. And that is a nice opener :)

You're more than welcome, David. And no, I don't think Steven or Ian would mind either ;)...i never met them in real-life (so i am quite envious ;) ) but what i read of them and heard was always very positive.

I hope with time the Members here will read your book (some already started) and we can have a lively discussion :)
I saw the german-version of Acacia today...i visited our bookstore. It looks really gorgeous! It's definitely an eye-catcher ;)

Enjoy your stay, David.

BTW, for all the members...David's Forum is also linked in his Homepage-button at the bottom of each of his posts!
Mane of Chaos. Anomandaris. Lord of the Tiste Andii, who has looked down on a hundred thousand winters, who has tasted the blood of dragons, who leads the last of his kind, seated in the Throne of Sorrow and a kingdom tragic and fey.
Mod-Stimme ist rot :yoda:

Jeder hat das Recht auf seine eigene, falsche Meinung.

Freitag, 22. Februar 2008, 16:19

Those are my two versions:

Somehow I personally like the English better.

I read it in german :)
Liebe ist nur etwas fuer die Traeumenden, ...
... Die Macht der Träume erstreckt sich nur auf ihr eigenes Reich.
In der Wirklichkeit zählen nur Taten.

Samstag, 23. Februar 2008, 13:54

Maybe that's new stuff after finishing the Re-Read of Malazan!

For someone who's highly addicted to Fantasy it's always a big relief to know that there's still more stuff! :D

Greetz, Corvus
Die Katzen halten nur den für eloquent, der miauen kann

David

Anfänger

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 23. Februar 2008, 19:29

Adaephon,

Hello. Ah, you got an advanced reading copy of the US edition. Cool. That one has quite a few typos in it. :( But we fixed them before the real hardback came out. :] Atleast, I think so...

Thanks for posting the photo of the Blanvalet edition. I still haven't received my copies, so I've never really seen what it looks like in the flesh! Now I have a better idea of the size and texture of it.

Hi Corvus,

Well, I haven't produced as many pages as Steven has in Malazan, but I'm working on it!

Here are a couple more cover images. This is what Acacia will look like in the United Kingdom...

And here's the Swedish version...

My Blog is Here!
My Website is Here!

And, yes, I am working on the next book! It's called The Other Lands...

Samstag, 23. Februar 2008, 21:12

I liked both cover. Are they only painted for Acacia?

Yes,
I must confess. What books concerned, especially fantasy, I turn to a junkie.

That's why I collect ARCs of fantasy books. And for this reason I have the ARC to Acacia :D
Liebe ist nur etwas fuer die Traeumenden, ...
... Die Macht der Träume erstreckt sich nur auf ihr eigenes Reich.
In der Wirklichkeit zählen nur Taten.

David

Anfänger

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 25. Februar 2008, 01:43

Yes, I think that all these cover images were commissioned for Acacia. They certainly look that way to me. I bet that the German cover was from an existing image, but that's one of the nicest ones - so I'm happy.

-David.
My Blog is Here!
My Website is Here!

And, yes, I am working on the next book! It's called The Other Lands...